Motivation. Oh you silly feeling you… after coming off a long weekend of relaxation and lots of good food (hopefully you utilized at least some of the tips I shared to keep ya on track in Friday’s post) it’s sometimes hard to find that UMPH we love to feel in order to get back into our usual routine.
There are days you just don’t feel like doing anything.. you lack that motivation, you lack energy. Guess what?! We all have days like that! I do, you do, it’s part of being a human. I don’t want you to feel like every day you’re suppose to wake up with the energy to take on the world! In fact, sometimes we all can get into such a slump that even thinking about making positive changes seems too difficult, so we just continue to mope around, thinking about working out or eating a healthy meal, but don’t. ya feel me? You in your pajamas still debating on whether to go to the gym this morning or not… or possibly you’re about to head home from work and are debating driving right past your gym straight to your couch?
These tools can even pertain and be executed in your daily life, not just your health & fitness. Lacking motivation can affect every aspect of your day, whether it be that stack of papers on your desk your boss left you Friday before you left work, or the conference call you need to make, that resume you’ve been wanting to update so you can begin creating the life you want, or even just taking the trash out.
Well, I’ve got you! And we are going to get MOTIVATED and I’m going to share my tools on how I get myself pumped up when the last thing I want to do is move my body or begin going down my to-do list.
- Write down or say out loud a goal you want to hit today, be it as small as simply doing a few sit ups or push ups in y our living room. Just something you really envision yourself doing but just can’t seem to muster up the energy to do so. Because whenever I know I’ve been in a slump, I’ve realized that it’s often because I have too much going on in my life. I have a busy week ahead and just an overwhelmed by all the things going on in my head and my to-do list. It’s probably the most common mistake that people make, they try to take on too much and accomplish too many goals at once. You cannot maintain energy and focus (the two most important things in accomplishing a goal) if you are trying to do two or more goals at once. It’s not possible – I’ve tried. So choose one goal, for now, and focus on it completely. You can always do your other goals and to-do’s once you’ve accomplished your One Goal. Then be PROUD of yourself for completing that One Goal, because a small goal being accomplished will then roll into accomplishing other goals.
- Find inspiration: one of my favorites! Inspiration, for me, comes from others who have “achieved” the goal I want to achieve, or who are currently doing it. I read other blogs, books, hop right on Instagram and look at accounts of successful entrepreneurs, or when I’m delaying going to the gym, fitness role models of mine to help get me pumped up. I also love going on Pinterest and looking through my “inspiring words” board, just reading some high energy quotes can get your mind in the right place! I even love taking screen-shots of inspiration quotes or photos from Instagram or pinterest to save on my phone, tagging it as “favorites” then just pulling that album up on my phone when I need a good pick-me-up!
- Get excited!: this sounds obvious, but most people don’t think about it much. If you want to break out of a slump, get yourself excited about a goal. But how can you do that when you don’t feel motivated? Well, it starts with inspiration from others (like in tip #2), but you have to take that excitement and build on it. For me, I visualize that feeling of hitting a PR at the squat rack and how great that feels, or how excited I get after creating a new workout to share with you all that works like a charm! Just visualizing what you really WANT to do and putting that feeling of how you know you’ll feel after will bring up that energy!
- Call a friend: hello technology! Direct message your fitfriend on insta, or text your gal pal something funny, something to liven your energy. I know funny “gym-memes” always make my day! Reaching out to a friend when you’re feeling unmotivated and letting them know how you’re feeling will most likely lead to you feeling like you can take on the world after they remind you what a BADASS you are and you can do that goal!
- Squash the negative thoughts: replace them with positive ones: along those lines, it’s important to start monitoring your thoughts. Recognize the negative self-talk, “ugh I ate so much this past weekend and didn’t exercise. I’m so fat and bloated now. I’ll look gross in the gym”, sound familiar? Hear the self talk, acknowledge it them toss that shit out, because that’s what’s causing your slump. Replace them with “I can do this! because after I do this goal I’ll feel GREAT and ACCOMPLISHED!”. It sounds cheesy, but it works, really.
- My favorite, put on some JAMS girl! music never fails. It’s emotions through words and melodies that can change our moods in an instant. You know when you just want to be in a calm state and listening to classical music helps get you there? Do that to get pumped up – put on “Todays Hits” or even the oldies channel on Spotify. Want to hit the gym? I always rock out to some Pitbull radio on Spotify with god awful lyrics but I know it’s what gets me all hyped because all of a sudden I start to dance around, move my arms, my body, shake muh booooty then BOOM, I’m in my stretchy pants and chugging my pre-workout.
So get up! Get moving! Be SUCCESSFUL with that One Goal you wrote down. Just do it. You won’t regret it. But most importantly, cut yourself some slack, you’re human, you’ll feel unmotivated again in the future, you just have to remind yourself to snap out of it and how GOOD you were created to feel!
need some extra motivation? someone to help get you going and STAY going? go check out my 6 Week Transformation Challenge, and join in on getting motivated and staying motivated while seeing results!